pensées Cell Spheroid
3D Cell Spheroid
What is Cell Spheroid?
Cell spheroids mean the cells grown into a spherical mass by the 3D cell culture method. 3D cell culture refers to the improved methods that reproduce cell interactions with three- dimensional matrices in the clinical environment. In the clinical environment, cells exist in 3D microenvironments with intricate cell-cell and cell-matrix interactions. These interactions play a pivotal role in the normal activities of the cells. It was unable to reproduce the three-dimensional interactions in the traditional culture dish method. So, it is called ‘3D cell culture’ for various culture methods developed to improve this problem.
It is called ‘Cell spheroid’ for a spherical mass among various forms of cell masses grown in 3D cell culture. Spheroid is easy to form because it has the lowest energy among the three-dimensional shapes. And the cell masses produced spherically can faithfully reproduce key features of the three- dimensional environment. Recently, cell spheroid is the most widely used in 3D cell culture because of ease for implementation and high utilization relatively.
Application of Cell Spheroid
- Anti-Cancer Drug Research
- Cancer Spheroid can be used for an efficient anti-cancer drug development. It reproduces realistic tumor micro environment (TME), including hypoxia, stiffness, and cell signaling, with lower cost. Developers can expect anti-cancer drug candidate with higher success rate, using the cancer spheroid.
- Cancer Disease Research
- It is used to reproduce the features by the structure of cancer tissues. Cell spheroid is actively being implemented because cancer tissues have a characteristic change by volume.
- Stem Cell Research
- It is used for the aggregation stage in stem cell research. For the differentiation of stem cells, it is required the aggregation stage that a mass is formed and recognized in a specific size range. Cell spheroid is a very early stage for the aggregation.
- Cell Therapy Research
- It is applied to improve the efficacy of cell therapeutics. Cell Spheroid prevents the unnecessary spread of active ingredients and enables effective treatment.
- Drug Delivery Research
- It is used to study more effective drug delivery. Cell spheroid can be used as a model for the process to observe how the drug penetrates into the tissue and is delivered.
Features of Cell Spheroid
- Mimic the Clinical Research Environment
- Cell spheroid provides the research environment of the tissue or organ level. Typically, it has been conducted biological experiments at the cellular level. The cell study is limited by a low predictive power around 0.02% for the result of clinical tests, due to an environmental difference. Cell spheroid could provide a more realistic and similar environment with the clinical test by reproducing a stereoscopic environment and structure. It provides tissue or organ level research environment, beyond the cellular level. The results with cell spheroid are expected to expand the clinical applicability.
- High Compatibility with Traditional Experiments
- Cell spheroid not only provides an appropriate environment for 3D cell culture but also is highly compatible with the traditional two-dimensional experiment method. It enables us to conduct a higher level of experimentation without changing the environment and method of experiment. The experimentation with cell spheroid is employable for a high throughput system by supporting analysis based on microplates as well as applicable for the environment of traditional culture methods.